POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : generic human model--stand-in or place-holder : generic human model--stand-in or place-holder Server Time
20 Jun 2024 08:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  generic human model--stand-in or place-holder
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Apr 2009 02:35:01
Message: <web.49dee7a3a12d2698f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
My little attempt at modeling human male anatomy, using just simple objects and
unions (if a superellipsoid can be considered a 'simple object'!) No meshes or
CGS difference/merge, so the model is very quick to render. This started out as
basically a challenge to myself, to see if I could create a reasonable human
facsimile 'from memory' so to speak, without resorting to art or anatomy books
(which I have loads of--but that would have muddied the experient!) It's meant
only as a 'stand-in' model for testing out scenes.

I'm planning on adding this to the POV-Ray objects collection, but wanted to
post some images first, just to give folks a chance to make some suggestions.
But only a *few* please--it's just meant AS a quickly-rendering place-holder,
nothing more. Not something I want to spend *too* much more time at. (Every
time I use this model, I see small ways to tweak and add to it--but lately that
process has been getting a bit ridiculous. so it's time to post the thing.)
Nevertheless, suggestions *are* welcome. :-) And if it doesn't look too useful,
I guess I need to know that as well. :-[

I also posted an animation over at p.b.a, so you can get a better look at it 'in
the round' as it rotates.

It's basically just a static model, as you see it: no I-K or other special
facility for rotating the joints--although that's something I might add later,
in a 'new and improved' version...at least making basic rotation of the parts
easier. And I might even work on that egg-like head!

I want to make him as easy to 'substitute' for a real figure as possible, so a
few questions: Should I scale the model to be 1-unit high? Or some other scale
based on, say, typical imported POSER figures (whatever that scale is)? How
about the y-positioning? (Presently he stands with his feet touching y=0;
should he be centered on the origin instead?)

Since the model started out far simpler, as just a personal project, the various
parts were not made (or placed or scaled) in a truly logical fashion. Kind of a
mish-mash. But as a temporary place-holder model, it serves its purpose.

KW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'simple_human_basic_views.jpg' (121 KB)

Preview of image 'simple_human_basic_views.jpg'
simple_human_basic_views.jpg